
The Headquarters, Theatre Command, Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, has dismissed a viral video alleging non-payment of troops’ allowances and intimidation of a soldier, describing the claims as false, misleading and a deliberate attempt to discredit the military.
The Army said the video circulating on social media misrepresented facts around welfare payments, stressing that all legitimate allowances due to personnel had been settled up to date.
In a statement shared on Sunday, signed by the Media Information Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the Theatre Command insisted there were no outstanding arrears owed to troops under the operation.
“The Theatre Command categorically states that the claims contained in the video are false, misleading, and a deliberate attempt to misinform the public and discredit the military command structure,” the statement said.
It further clarified that operational entitlements remain fully paid, adding that personnel welfare remains a priority within the command.
“It is important to emphasize that all legitimate allowances due to troops under Operation HADIN KAI have been paid up to date as of May 2026, with no outstanding issues,” the statement added.
The Army listed the allowances covered as including Ration Cash Allowance, Operational Allowance and Habit Allowance, noting that these are either paid directly to soldiers or disbursed through unit structures.
According to the statement, the controversy stemmed from an additional incentive paid to troops deployed to secure a critical national asset in Tuba, which it said is separate from regular allowances and subject to funding availability.
It explained that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation initially handled the payment before ceasing operations in the area, after which the responsibility was transferred to the Borno State Government, alongside similar arrangements for other security personnel.
The command said the specific issue raised in the viral video related to pending funds for that additional allowance at the time of the complaint.
During an operational visit, it noted that the matter was raised before the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division, Brigadier General Solomon Diwa, who assured troops that efforts were underway to secure payment once funds were released.
The Theatre Command also rejected claims that the soldier featured in the video was victimised, insisting that no disciplinary action or intimidation took place.
“The allegation that the soldier was intimidated or punished is entirely unfounded,” it noted. .
It added that preliminary investigations showed the video was not produced by the soldier involved but by a content creator allegedly known for amplifying grievances from dissatisfied individuals within the system.
The Army described the circulation of such material as a breach of its social media policy and warned that disciplinary measures would be taken against violations.
Reaffirming its position on troop welfare, the Command said mechanisms were already in place to ensure prompt payment of entitlements through coordination with relevant stakeholders and funding authorities.
Operation HADIN KAI urged the public and media organisations to verify information before dissemination, warning that misinformation could undermine morale and operational effectiveness in the North-East.
The Theatre Command reaffirmed its commitment to its counter-insurgency mandate, saying it remains focused on restoring peace, stability and professionalism in ongoing operations across the region.

