Sunday, February 22

The head, Fusengbuwa Ruling House, Otunba Abdulateef Owoyemi, on Sunday, appealed to Governor Dapo Abiodun to lift the embargo on the Awujale selection process and allow the kingmakers to complete their assignment.

Owoyemi, a former National President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, said the royal family, which is next in line to produce the new Awujale of Ijebu land, as well as sons and daughters of Ijebu land at home and in the diaspora, were unhappy, frustrated and saddened by the seemingly indefinite suspension of the selection process by the state government.

Speaking with our correspondent on Sunday, Owoyemi commended Abiodun for his support so far, but urged him not to allow any distractions to hinder the completion of the selection process as soon as possible.

Owoyemi said he had been inundated daily with calls from within and outside the country from indigenes of Ijebu land seeking updates on the emergence of a new Awujale.

He explained that the royal family appreciated the governor’s commitment but pleaded with him to allow the selection process to resume so the kingmakers could carry out their responsibility of choosing the next Awujale.

Owoyemi said, “The royal family and indeed every son and daughter of Ijebu land will appreciate it if the governor can allow all these distractions to be put behind us because it has always been like that when people are contesting or competing for a position. Ramadan has begun, after which we shall have our annual Ojude Oba during Eid-el-Kabir, a gathering with religious and cultural significance.

“Everyone, both at home and in the diaspora, is waiting, but who will coordinate the preparation? The people are waiting for guidance. The truth is that they want to have the new Awujale. We want this matter concluded as soon as possible.

“I am overwhelmed; I receive calls every day from within and outside the country from family members who want to know what is happening, but I have nothing to tell them. Yes, we have also been appealing to the government, but we have received no response.

“There is a saying that if one stays too long in the toilet, one begins to see all manner of flies, and that is what is happening. I do not think suspending the selection process for this long is the way out. It is time the government allowed the kingmakers to do their job.

“These are men of integrity and character who will not sell the Awujale’s throne for anything. The family is not happy with what is happening, and we are pleading with the government to lift the suspension and allow us to conclude the process.

“By now, the government should have had enough time to review whatever concerns it observed and lift the suspension. The people are expectant; they want a new Awujale as soon as possible. They have waited long enough. I receive calls from America, the UK, and across the country. The family is worried and unhappy with how everything has been left hanging.

“The governor has tried, but it is time to conclude the process. This process must be completed, and someone must emerge. This is the plea of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House. We sincerely beg the governor to allow the kingmakers to finish their job.”

Recall that the state government, for the second time last month, halted the selection process for the new Awujale of Ijebu land.

PUNCH Online reports that in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Ganiyu Hamzat, the government said the process was suspended following a flood of petitions received from security agencies and other stakeholders.

The Awujale stool became vacant in July 2025 following the death of Oba Sikiru Adetona at the age of 91. He reigned for 65 years.

Ninety-five aspirants — comprising 94 princes and one princess from the Fusengbuwa Ruling House — emerged during the nomination meeting of the ruling house held last month at Bisrod Hall, GRA, Ijebu Ode.

The kingmakers, led by the Ogbeni Oja of Ijebu land, Dr Sunny Kuku, were about to commence the selection process when the government halted it, citing the influx of petitions from security agencies and other stakeholders.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version